Friday, January 4, 2008

Beauty is...

Let me kind of fill you in as to what beauty is to me:

The first type of beauty as I see it is the Glass Vase type. A person so beautiful and widely regarded that their beauty rarely allows others to see the beauty within. Typically this type of beauty is condemned to the role of arm candy, usually through no fault of their own. The beautiful person is relegated to sitting on the shelve and looking pretty.

The second type of beauty comes from a jar or potion or surgical procedure. This type of beauty can be sought out in gyms and running along the lake in summer. The pursuit to reverse gravities effects or slow down the aging process. Without the same work and diligence applied to the soul, what do the exercises and concoctions really accomplish?

Third, there is beauty of difference. Those that are considered beautiful because of the uniqueness of their appearance. Features so prominent, limbs so angular or hair so striking that they simply stand out in any crowd.

Having an appreciation of beauty of all kinds and all sorts, I am typically awed but all manners of physical gifts of God. However, there is one kind of beauty that I so entrances me that I seem to lose perspective in its presences. Yes, this is the beauty of Maya Angelou, the features of Nikki Giovanni, the timeless classic beauty that the rare sister possesses. You my dear bare that singular, unforgettable type of beauty. The looks of a woman that can balance the check book, rear the children, host a philanthropic event and never ever let them see you sweat. You have that classic look that tells the world that yours is a beauty that will exist at 20 and be intact at 80. I am simply awed!

No comments: